Jimmy and Sarah Lee 선교사(베트남) 선교소식
November/December 2017 Highlights
December was probably the best month from a m*nistry perspective since we have been in Hanoi. Just to give you all a background, G is moving powerfully in Hanoi and Vietnam! As I shared during our testimony time back at MKPC, Vietnam is really starting to open up to the moving of the HS and a big part of it is what is happening in Hanoi! Since many people from all over the country come to Hanoi to work and study, as people become brothers and sisters in C, they can take the message back to their home provinces. This is an important part of the movement of the HS here in this country.
A big part of what G is doing culminated with the Love Hanoi Festival, where the Billy Graham Association came and hosted a revival, with Franklin Graham. Much of what took place the last few months revolve around this event which was AMAZING.
- Short-Term group visit from our friends from our home ‘family’: I scheduled my friends from my “home family group” to come to Hanoi a week before the festival to be a part of it… for a week, they helped us mobilize for the festival. Each day, my friends did something called a ‘Treasure Hunt’. The objective was to find people at colleges, universities and parks to share the Good News and to also invite them to the Love Hanoi Festival. ‘Treasure Hunting’ starts by p*aying and asking G to speak to us by providing us ‘clues’ about people we should meet… perhaps some specific clothing, a name, a color, a thing or animal, etc. So each day, my friend would go onto campus with clues to meet and talk to young people. Luckily for them, there are plenty of young English speakers on college campuses!
My friends also visited my Alpha group and English clubs to invite people to the Festival. G really moved through my friends… the good new was shared to many and some did come with us to the Festival. Two even came into the Family!!! PTL!!!
It was really great to spend time with my friends and to show them what G was doing in Vietnam… I’m glad they got to be a part of the L making history in this country!
- End of our Alpha season: I was a group leader for Alpha this past season which started in October and ended early December. For those unfamiliar, Alpha is an “introduction” to C-ristianity course where young adults gather to watch a video and then talk about life’s important questions. It is great way for people to experience the love of G.
We had an amazing group this past season with G really working powerfully. We had 4 people who are not brothers and sisters and of this group 2 of them became part of the family!!! PTL!!! It was amazing because as our Alpha season ended, that following weekend was the Love Hanoi festival where 2 of them became part of the family.
- Love in Action and the Love Hanoi Festival: Although the message preached by Franklin Graham is simple, the most amazing thing about the festival was the preparation. The Billy Graham Association did not just come to preach a message. They came to mobilize the indigenous people and brothers and sisters in C to LOVE their own people, country and city. So leading up to the conference, they helped to mobilize blood drives, drug-rehabilitation seminars, C-planting strategies and even garbage clean up in heavily polluted areas in the country. I participated in this… it was called “Keep Hanoi Clean” (https://goo.gl/S9osA6) and we moved over 14 tons of garbage out of the city in a weekend.
Of course the main event was the festival itself which was attended by thousands of people who were bussed in from all over Northern Vietnam. Each night we had over 5,000 people in attendance. Of this number thousands came to know C. It was an amazing experience to be a part of and witness.
- Re-dedication to learn Vietnamese: The past 2 to 3 months has been very busy in preparation for the Festival… as such learning Vietnamese (which was our main objective for the 1st 2 years) took a back seat. We will re-dedicate time and will likely add additional hours of learning to our schedule.
- New B-Study for new Cs: As Alpha ended and the Festival is now over, there are many new Cs who want to continue to learn about G and the B*ble. Myself and 1 other friend will start a new follow-up study for new Cs. We will start in the 2nd week of January.
- Disciples*ip: A big need in this city is diciples*ip as many hear and become Cs but sometimes their understanding is limited or skewed. There is one young man who is a young believer that I will start meeting with. There is a course called ‘Journey’s’ that I will use to establish solid foundations.
- Sarah’s family back home: There are some family things that Sarah’s family is going through back home and it is difficult for her to be so far away. Please p*ay for them and for her.
- Vietnamese help: Please lift up our Vietnamese learning as well. I am a bit frustrated with how slow it is going, so please ask the HS to help us learn and to be disciplined in our studies!
- Continued Pr*yer for our children’s education: As always so far, our children’s education is a big request for us. The L has really come through for us this past year, PTL! Now we will need to plan for next year and the years to come. As we start to transition to more time spent in minist*y and business, we will need to lighten our homeschooling load as well. We will discuss some options in January. Please lift this topic up for us!
- Rest: It has been a very tiring few weeks and months doing all the things described above. Additionally, Christmas season in Hanoi is not just family time, but is also an opportunity to share the real story of Christmas, so it is busy as well. Please pray for good rest in the next few weeks so we can start the New Year strong!